Saturday, February 12, 2011

8 Weeks!

I haven't posted much lately, because there hasn't been any new events and it's really nice to not constantly obsess and think about jaw related things!

I've been trying to adjust back into my regular diet, which has been a little weird. I don't destroy steak or anything, but I can eat most stuff. Although it has to be in little bites. But I just love food!
I have some excccccellent news! I BIT INTO A PIECE OF LETTUCE TODAY. I think I heard angels sing when it happened! What an awesome feeling! I still don't feel comfortable with biting into things yet, but soon I'm going to bite into a sandwich and tear that lettuce apart.

My bite feels awesome! And looks pretty close to perfect (although in my Orthodontist's eyes, it's probably not). But I adore it!

I discovered this middle rubber band is making it a lot harder to talk again and I sound a little lisp-y if I'm feeling lazy, but I really don't care to be honest with you!

I was looking at my itemized bill from the hospital today, and it is soooo ridiculous. I'll share some of the highlights...My grand total JUST for supplies/hospital surgery expenses (not including the bill for the surgery itself from the surgeon) is a grand total of $41,846.00!!
A tube of Vaseline for my lips that were falling off....$15.00
7 Drill bits. Hahah DRILL BITS? I could have brought him some of those from my dad's toolbox. $4,193.00
41 screws... $5084.00
7 Plates.... $3403.00
Water for irrigation. Yes, you read that right. WATER.....$56.00
Anesthesia is charged at 15 minute intervals haha. I needed it for 4 hours...that's a total of $3,007.00
And hospitals charge for the amount of time you are in the recovery room!! That's charged at 15 minute intervals as well. I was there for 2.5 hours so that's a total of $1,345.00
They gave me 10 (total) "servings" post surgery of Dilaudid, Morphine, and Toradol. No wonder I was flying high and feeling great those first 14 hours. And said some bizarre stuff and remember infomercials at 4AM being SO interesting...
I see on here they ordered a size large compression sleeve for my thigh. A large? :( Miss Thunder Thighs here.
There's a huuuuge list of all the drugs given to me before, during and after surgery. It's so weird that many substances were in my body. And one of them is labeled as "Meth" haha Hmmmm.
It also says "blade stryker tips" and I don't know what that is so I google image searched it. This is what came up. Damn. Haha I don't think that's right.
Anyway, I am very thankful for great insurance!

I'm pretty sure I don't really have any swelling anymore. If I do, it's not much I notice and it's only in the morning. No pain at all anymore. Yay!
I am used to the subtle changes in my face now. Just a couple of weeks ago, when I would look in the mirror I would be happy one minute, then later when I would look I would think "Umm.. you probabllllyyy shouldn't have done this!" or sometimes "WTF HAVE I DONE?" haha But now I look in the mirror and see Me! And it's not some surreal or scary experience. It's just Whitney!
But I have a hard time remembering exercises lately! I gotta work on that!
My only complaint is I am SICK of my numb spots and want the feeling back so bad!

Here's a couple of pictures from Wednesday when we went to the Bosnia vs. Mexico game. It was SO AWESOME. Wow. I truly wish I could go every single day of my life haha. But that was a big day for my jaw...basically 16 hours straight of laughing, talking, screaming, cheering, eating, drinking madness. But it seemed to be just fine. Oh, and it was SO cold that day, which usually bothers my jaw...but I guess it doesn't anymore.

  
And I took this just now:

See you in a week!

3 comments:

  1. Totally not jaw related, but I am in loovee with your hair! It is SOO pretty! Haha, a little random, but I am sure you get it a lot. :)

    You look great, by the way. I have read a few blogs where people are still blending food at 8 weeks, or at least having a rough time getting proper food down, so it is really good to hear that you're feeling almost completely back to normal. SO jealous you've gotten over the constant obsessing about jaw-related things. I am already sick of thinking about it ALL the time, but looks like I still have about 5 months of obsessing left. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to post what dani said! I want your hair! Omg its strikingly beautiful! And of course so are you! You look amazing. Glad to hear you are able to chew more and more! Did you have your surgery at northside? I guess I can expect a similar "bill" when my turn is up. We are having similar surgeries... double jaw, septo, genio. I, too am thankful for good insurance! I pray it doesn't change before I go under. So how long do you think it will be before you can bite into a steak? I love food, this will be so hard for me lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani and Tara, thank you so much!! :)

    Dani, I can't imagine still having to blend food at 8 weeks. There will be some days you don't even think about it, and others it will be all you can think about. Just try not to worry. Focus on how far you have come and what your ultimate outcome will be! The time will fly by, believe me!

    Tara, I'm so glad I can chew more and more too! haha Yes, I did have my surgery at Northside! My pre-op nurse was a big ol grouch because I pissed her off. But my recovery nurse, and the nurses I had the evening of surgery and the night of surgery were all so so so nice and attentive! Oh and the lady that comes in to check your vitals every few hours was wonderful too! I can' say the same for the nurse I had the morning I was going home, but I only saw her for about an hour anyway.
    Good news, I bit into a steak this week! I wrote about it in my new post. It's so funny we had almost the same surgery and live near each other too!

    ReplyDelete