Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 74 / More Before and After Pictures

It's my spring break this week (even though it's still winter). This weekend I was able to go visit one of my best friend's from high school at USC, Caroline! Our other best friend, Alora was able to come as well! We call ourselves the Variety Pack because...we are! Haha you have a blonde, a brunette, and a red head! Although Alora isn't technically a blonde anymore, we will always remember her with that bleach blonde hair from high school! It was so great to get all three of us together, because we have some seriously hectic lives and Alora lives in Alaska now with her husband who is in the Army. So this definitely doesn't happen all the time and it was so great to get to catch up! Caroline also lives with 4 of the sweetest girls ever!
I had no jaw issues which was great and it survived a night of pineapple vodkas, everclear slushies and a bunch of crazy girls running wild all over Columbia!
I actually had an appointment with my OS on Monday, but I was out of town. Today I called to reschedule, and it turned out I could either come in today, or a week from today...I chose today!
He said everything looks great and he is still very very happy! Yay! I don't worry anywhere near as much as I used to about all this, but today I was feeling like my bite was off and my muscle was acting up, so it is such a relief to hear everything is still great! Every time I leave that office, I feel like I'm on top of the world because I am always so happy to hear we are on the right track still, and every day I feel a little happier I did this!
He's a little concerned about me not doing my opening exercises though. He said this is the critical point to be sure to soften up the scar tissue, so later I can open as wide as I'm supposed to! He progressed me to finger exercises, which means I am supposed to open and push down my lower jaw with my index finger, while pushing my upper jaw up with my thumb. I know that sounds weird, I guess I would have to show you for you to understand.
Anyway, I'm going back in a month so he can check that, and then I don't have to go back to see him again until after I get my braces off! Whatttt? That really makes it set in.....this is almost over! Okay, maybe I have several months left, but really...that's nothing.
Now I'm back at work for the rest of the week, and weekend, with lots of homework, then back to school on Monday. Growing up sucks.

Today my OS gave me copies of the after photos he took at my last visit, and they are pretty exciting comparisons!




Pictures from the weekend:

8 comments:

  1. I love looking at your before and after pictures cos you look so good it makes me so excited about what I'll look like after surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have a genioplasty as well, or just upper and lower? I apologize if I have asked you this before, I can't remember!

    Your pre-op pic looks very similar to what my profile looks like now, and I can't believe how incredible your post-op pic looks! I hope my results are as great as yours have been! Were you told how much movement there was to each jaw during surgery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, girls!
    I'm glad all these pictures help you. I liked looking at before and after pictures the most when I was preparing for surgery and could never find enough. So I'm trying to post a lot of different ones.

    Dani, yes I did have a genioplasty also. It was the only part of my surgery considered purely cosmetic/elective, so that was paid for out of pocket. My surgeon said it wasn't necessary but the subtle positive effect it would create would be worth it. Are you thinking of getting one? I definitely suggest it. I figured since I was already going through with the major part, I should get this done at the same time, rather than wish I had later. It truly was something I didn't even really think about after surgery. It was nothing.
    Everything was moved 5 mm. It seems like nothing, if you think about how much 5 mm actually is. But it obviously makes a drastic difference.
    How much movement is your surgeon expecting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he said 5 or 6mm on the bottom, so I think our jaws were set pretty similarly. I have read a lot about genioplasties, but haven't discussed it yet with my OS. I feel like when I look in the mirror at my profile, and then slide my jaw forward, my chin still seems to look recessed, so I am wondering if that was the same situation as you and that's why they did the genio. This certainly didn't happen in your case, but I have read a few blogs of people mentioning their OS's saying a genio can cause a more masculine shaped chin, and sometimes people feel like it becomes too pronounced. I just worry about doing TOO much, and overdoing it!
    Also, did you have a splint in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. you look amazing!!! so glad to hear everythings going smoothly with you =)
    by any chance do u no when the braces come off?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dani, I know exactly what you're saying! I used to look in the mirror and slide my jaw forward too haha and I always thought the same thing about my chin! You likely have a weak chin, like me and the only way of fixing that is a genioplasty.
    When you do discuss your options with your OS, make sure they understand your concerns about your chin possibly looking more masculine. A good surgeon is only going to do what you want, with your desired results in mind. My surgeon said it would be very subtle, and I think it turned out that way.
    No, I did not have a splint in. My surgeon did post op things a lot differently than many of the blogs I read. He said he thinks a lot of surgeons do things that are unnecessary and a splint was one of them. He said I had a splint in during surgery, but it was removed before I woke up. Are you going to have a splint in?

    Thank you, Mai!! I am very thankful! I do not know exactly when my braces will be removed. The OD said 6-9 months after surgery, so that is June-September. Basically he said my fate is in my own hands now by how much I wear my rubberbands. I should know more in April at my next appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I met with my surgeon over a year ago, and again a few weeks ago. At my most recent appointment, we didn't discuss the splint at all, but I feel like he said at my first appointment that I wouldn't need one. I can't remember, but I will be sure to ask him at my next appointment in two weeks. I think he does things a bit differently than a lot of surgeons I have read about on other blogs as well. He told me straight after surgery I would just be on a no chew diet for a week, so applesauce, mashed potatoes, pudding and things like that, and then soft foods diet for a few weeks. It seems like a lot of people have some sort of liquid only diet, followed by no chew and then soft foods. I am thrilled to hear I don't have to just do liquids! Was that similar to how things were done with you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, it sounds like he does things similar to my surgeon...which will make things a lot easier than what you've read!
    Yeah that's similar to what he said. He told me I didn't have to use the syringes if I didn't want to, and I could just start out with straws and spoons if I want. But don't get too excited about a not specifically liquid diet. I'm 99% sure you will still be banded shut. I don't think any surgeon would leave someone unbanded, because your jaw would just hang open and cause you a lot more discomfort than necessary. The rubberbands they use are really really tight, so you can't open enough for a spoon really. And to be honest, you probably aren't going to feel like trying to use a spoon those first few days. But if you're like me, the bands will come off on the fourth day and you can start using a spoon. I don't mean to bum you out or say you're wrong or anything haha I just don't want you to be disappointed. I thought I would be using a spoon then too, and that wasn't the case. In fact, after a week or so I was still using the syringe for some things just because it was easier than a spoon. Either way, we are so lucky to not be on a 4 week liquid diet or wired together for 6 weeks like some people!!

    ReplyDelete