Sunday, March 6, 2011

Orthodontist's Forecast Compared Against The Actual Result

Those of you reading this that are going to be having surgery soon will probably get a "forecast" from your orthodontist or oral surgeon about your expected outcome. My orthodontist did mine, and I found it earlier and thought it might be interesting to compare it to my after picture, so here it is:



I adjusted the contrast and brightness on the after image because it's really light and I thought it might be easier to see. I'm not really sure what I think about this to be honest. I'm very happy with my actual result, and relieved I don't look exactly like the forecast (that is a SERIOUS chin). First of all, I don't think the original image really looks/looked like me to begin with. The software used to create these images are very limited anyway. So I think they're good to get an idea about what to expect, but don't expect exactly that. Mine obviously isn't the same. But you can still see the difference in the weak look of my jaw and chin and how long my face looked because of my jaw position. And I think that's the point. I think a forecast is worth getting so you can get an idea, but don't expect to look exactly like that image. I just thought you guys might be interested in this if you got a forecast and weren't sure what to expect.

4 comments:

  1. Whitney,
    Was the before pic a real pic of you or was that a simulation? Your nose looks totally different. I think your actual outcome is the best! You look great!!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your real outcome is so much nicer than your predicted outcome! I think the predicted and real look completely different! It's making me think that if I was given a predicted pic I might not even want to look at it! I hope you take this as a compliment (as it's meant as one!) but I think the effect it's had on your nose is amazing! I hope I have the same result as I hate my nose! You look amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My predicted outcome was so odd, so I am thankful you posted this to show how much BETTER your actual results were. Both my OS and OD told me the prediction photos are only to get a general idea, and that they are far from spot on, so it's nice to see photos that support that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Tara, the before picture was a real picture...that I don't think was an accurate representation at all. My nose does look totally different now, but I don't remember my nose being THAT ugly looking. And thank you!!

    Haha Sarah I think so too. Thank you! I hope you have the same result with your nose as well! I didn't expect such a drastic change, but it is a welcome one. Honestly though, I don't think my nose was that bad, I think this picture just makes everything look grossly worse. But maybe it was! Thank you!

    Great, Dani! I'm glad you found it helpful! I was thinking the same thing when I first saw that last year, and I am glad the outcome is different. Yes, what they said is most certainly true. I wouldn't worry about that image at all. Plus, remember, that looks odd to you because it is not "you" yet and is different from what you're used to. I believe you'll be really happy with your result!

    ReplyDelete