Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day of Surgery!

Today the day had finally come! I got up at 4:45 and got in some more comfy clothes, brushed my teeth, and said goodbye to my bad teef! My mom and I drove to Northside and I still wasn't even nervous. We went to the admissions office and a lady had me sign some papers. There were three other patients in there waiting to do the same thing, one being this creepy old guy with orange hair who would not stop staring at me. Finally we went to another room and another lady walked us back to the pre op area. We waited in my little curtain room for this total bitch to come in and put my IV in. Okay, I made it kind of hard for her because I FREAK OUT about IVs and blood pressure. I mean really, freak out. Something about the constricting of my veins and then feeling my pulse and then feeling my blood rush through terrifies me. UGH. I can't even stand tight socks. I know, what a weirdo. Well, anyway, I started hyperventilating when she tied the tourniquet and it was so bad she had to just leave me there "and go take care of the other patient who is actually ready!!" Then the anesthesiologist came in and asked questions and we told him about when I was young and had surgery and when I had my wisdom teeth removed I woke up a psycho. I usually wake up in an absolute rage and say really mean stuff and am totally out of control. The anesthesiologist didn't even look surprised. He just said "Oh yeah, cause she has red hair." We laughed and he said, "No, really. There are studies." I think this is so funny. I just love red heads. I think it's amazing we are so unique all because of our hair. My temper definitely matches my hair color. Hey, by the way, red heads need an average of 20% more anesthesia than the average person.
In a few minutes that bitch came back in and I finally just sucked it up and got my IV so I wouldn't have to see her anymore. Then my dad got there and my doctor came in and talked a few minutes and met a few assistants. Then someone put medicine in my IV that made me high as a kite so I just sat there and laughed for five minutes. At nothing. haha. Then things get a little fuzzy. I guess just a few minutes later was when I said bye to my parents and they wheeled me to the OR. I can barely picture the room, with little detail, and just remember they helped me move onto another bed. Then I think someone might have asked me about school? I'm not really sure, but I know I was done before I could even answer.


After what felt like 5 minutes, I heard my name and opened my eyes and saw this super nice lady trying to wake me up. I looked around and saw some other beds of people waking up and I guess for an hour or so I just drifted in and out. I remember the lady kept telling me to breathe in and out deep and the medicine would wear off faster, so I did. I could not believe I was behaving like a normal person!!! What a miracle! I just knew I would be impossible to deal with, because I usually am, but I just laid there. I didn't feel any pain at all and I am sure that was helpful at keeping me under control as well.

At some point they took me to my room and I just spent the rest of the day chillin slurping up chicken broth in my syringe. This day was just too easy, I should have known it wasn't going to stay that way. The only bad parts of the day was when they had to give me stuff in my IV and I was sooo uncomfortable because all the medicine hurt going in, because I know that first lady did something wrong putting it in. They wanted me to get a new IV but I did not even want to go there. I had the nicest nurses during the day and night and had no pain at all and was feeling good. My mom stayed with me the whole time and Aid came to visit after work and brought me some flowers!

This is me right before surgery:



















Cute, right?


This is me after surgery:


























I don't know why I look like I'm in pain, because I wasn't. And I wasn't bleeding, I think that was just dried blood from my mouth earlier.

These pictures are humbling and there are many more to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment