Thursday, December 16, 2010

Last update before surgery!

This week I was finishing up school and getting last minute things done for Saturday!

Monday afternoon my mom and I went to the surgeon for my last pre-op appointment. I went in there feeling like I was going to throw up from the anxiety, but I left in the best mood ever! While we were sitting in the waiting room, a lady came in and overheard us talking about surgery. She spoke up and said she just had upper and lower jaw surgery (like mine) 16 days ago. That woman looked exceptional! I could not believe how great she looked, and couldn't stop telling her. The poor lady was in a bad car accident and both of her jaws were shattered and caused her to be disfigured, but my doctor did an amazing job with her! She said she usually bruises very easily, but had no bruises from him at all. When the assistant called my name, the last thing she told me was "Don't read things online, those people will make you think you're going to die." She must have known exactly what I'd been up to!

When we got in the room, the assistant gave me 8 prescriptions!
  • 800 MG Ibuprofen
  • Lortab
  • Amoxicillin
  • Something complicated sounding for nausea
  • 2 ginormous bottles of Peridex (an antibiotic mouth rinse)
  • 3 different decongestants. (Two are nose sprays and one is a pill)
That's quite a cocktail of medications. I feel like an old person because I NEVER take medicine. My liver and kidneys are already saying "fuck you" for the overtime.

Then I signed my initials and name about 200 times on release forms. I had to initial next to every single thing that could possibly go wrong. I know they legally have to tell you these things because they are not guaranteed impossible,even though they aren't likely. But some of them freaked me out. Oh, and one of them said something about if tissues or parts of my body are removed, they can use them for scientific studies and education haha

Then the doctor came in and I asked him about 4 million questions. Finally he was like "Don't read stuff online!!" HOW DOES EVERYONE KNOW? Haha He said a lot of surgeons do things differently than he does and he finds a lot of things to be completely unnecessary. He answered all of my questions honestly and made me feel 150% better. I have a lot of confidence in him and he almost made me...should I say it? Excited. Actually, I have not had one negative thought about this surgery at all this week! But I know on Saturday morning I'll be a crazy nervous wreck...they're gonna have to load me up on quaaludes or somethin.

Today my mom and I went to the orthodontist to get my surgical hooks on. Sounds cool, except not really. I planned to put a picture of them here, but in the picture you can't really see them. They're just little tiny metal things. On my lower teeth they poke down, and on my upper teeth they obviously poke up. Apparently I already had six in my mouth since March and had no clue, so the four they added aren't a big deal. But getting them put on? Man, what a pain in the ass. The ortho assistant was brand new and was sooo awkward. She dropped the little stupid things in the back of my throat, in my mouth, down my shirt, down on her lap, in my hair, everywhere. Then she got my hair all caught in them when she was attaching them, her fingers got in the way and were everywhere and it was just a mess. She's gotta learn somehow though.
When I left the office, all the nice ladies wished me luck and said I would love how everything turns out! :)

Now, that's all that needs to be done! Going to enjoy my last day tomorrow as a free woman and have The Last Supper with Aid. Saturday morning I will have to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM (I'm a super nice girl that early, by the way) and then at 7:30, there's no turning back!

A disgusting amount of Entourage and Chappelle's Show DVDs to get me through the first few days? Check.
$60 worth of delicious liquids I bought at the grocery store Monday? Check.
An awesome mommy that's gonna put up with all of my bitching and whining and yelling? Check.Ready!

I'll update as soon as I feel like it, with a very humbling post op picture!

I need lots of good luck and prayers! Love you all!

3 comments:

  1. Okay so the awkward ortho made me laugh. Reminded me of that nights we got tangled up in a hair vs braces feud. KEEP THIS AWESOME ATTITUDE! Love you and I can't wait to drink lots of hypnotiq with you as an addition to your medication list/celebration of your successful journey through this surgery! !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney, how long did your surgery take (actual surgery time) for double jaw, genio and septo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was tara "bracedblogger" by the way who posted the question on surgery time - i wasn't able to post with my login for some reason. can you post your reply on my wall? I can't link to this post as an anonymous blogger. our OS says for double jaw and genio it will be 3 hrs. i need to remind him about the conservative septoplasty when i go in october for the re-evaluation. just comparing notes with you since we have the same OS and same procedures.

    ReplyDelete