Monday, December 27, 2010

Day Nine

I had trouble sleeping last night, so I didn't fall asleep until almost 3. I still wasn't feeling any pain so I didn't take an ibuprofen before bed for the first time. I woke up at 7:30 because my jaw was hurting pretty bad. I took the 800mg ibuprofen and fell asleep until 10:30, so I got a decent amount of sleep.
I ate my morning Ensure with my handy syringe and just hung out on the couch for a while. After that, I showered and got dressed to go to the doctor.
The surgeon said everything looks great still! And I got an A+ for cleaning! So that's a relief because an infection would not be fun!
But he did say that my muscle on my left has been cramping and has changed my bite a little on that side. That's interesting, because yesterday you may remember me mentioning the cramping I was feeling. He said it's not a big deal and knows it's the muscle that changed it because when I was asleep in surgery, my bite was perfect. I just need to wear a few rubber bands to fix it. They're super tight. I have two on the left. One goes on my top molar and connects to the bottom molar. The second one goes on my top canine and connects to the tooth below it, then goes across to the next tooth to make a triangle. On the right I have one on my canine down to the tooth below just to feel balanced. I leave them in all the time, except when I eat and brush and rinse.
He also gave me exercises to do! Morning, noon and night I have to make 10 fish faces, then 10 big smiles, then 10 fish faces and so on. I do 10 sets of 10 reps. So, 300 per day haha. I went ahead and did 100 tonight and they feel so weird! But I want my lips to work ASAP.
Now, for the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!
I CAN EAT SOFT FOODS!!!! "Anything you can cut with the side of a fork!"
So my mom made spaghetti and meatballs tonight and it was quite possibly the best thing I have ever tasted! I ate three plates haha But it took quite a while. I don't really chew it much...just cut it up in little pieces and swallow it. But wow, it tasted marvelous and was much more filling than stupid soup.

I'm already thinking about what I can eat tomorrow. Is that pathetic? I don't care.

I can already imagine the day I can go to Frontera and eat my usual 3 bowls of salsa and crunch crunch crunch away at chips! Okay, that's a long way off, but a girl can dream.

He also said I can sleep on my side! Yay!

You may remember in my first post I said I would be on an all liquid diet for 4 weeks, then soft food, and you may be thinking "Whitney, you idiot it's only been 9 days!" I didn't mention in my blog yet that I went through this annoying ordeal with doctors. Basically I went to the same oral surgeon for years, in preparation of this, and then one day a couple of weeks before surgery they call and say "Hiiii hope you're doing good, okay great, we need like $17,000!! k, great, byeee!" Turns out, they were no longer in our insurance company's network and didn't bother to mention that little detail. At the very last minute my mom had to find a new OS for me and that's how we found this amazing doctor that did my surgery. I threw a total fit (who, me?) over changing doctors, mainly because I was scared, but then one day I thought this might be happening for a reason, even though it was not ideal and very inconvenient and I should go with it. I am so glad we did have to switch doctors, because from what I have figured out in the differences in opinion I've heard from each doctor, I would look like Edward Scissorhands right now had I have stayed with that other guy. The previous doctor also told me I would be on an all liquid diet for 4 weeks....really? I would die.

Since my pain is prevalent in the morning after waking up, I think I'll just start taking OTC ibuprofen now, and start off with 2. If that doesn't relieve whatever I feel, I'll work my way up. I just don't think I need 800 mg of ibuprofen anymore at one time. In fact, I haven't felt any pain today except for this morning.

There doesn't seem to be much change in my swelling today, and the doctor said I still have a long way to go. My face is just SUPER round and fat looking. I did notice that my smile is a teeny bit bigger today, but still no teeth.
I'm ready for New Year's so I can go do something fun and have a reason for a black dress!

1 comment:

  1. Whitney,

    How did your mom find the new OS? I'm still looking for one and could use some tips! I made a recent post about this.

    Thanks!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete