Monday, January 3, 2011

Day Sixteen

I went to the oral surgeon again today for a check up and everything is great! I think it's so funny how excited my doctor gets after he looks in my mouth and up my nose. He's so proud of his work and how I'm healing.
This appointment was really quick. He just looked in my mouth, rinsed it with Peridex and updated his notes. He also changed my rubber band configuration again. The elastics are a little bigger, so they aren't as tight. I have that same triangle on the left side as before, and now it's on the right also. So I use two elastics instead of three now.
I've been obsessively worrying about my bite on my left side. It just doesn't feel the same as the right. The right side feels like the teeth fit together perfect and on the left it just seems off. Maybe it feels that way because those teeth aren't exactly where they need to be yet and that's why I have many months of braces ahead of me. The surgeon says my bite is "PERFECT!!" So maybe it's just me finding something to worry about, like always. But I spend so much time every day checking my bite and obsessively biting down  every couple of minutes while I'm watching tv to make sure it isn't changing. If I still feel unsure about it or it seems to change I'll call him. Every time I ask about something I'm concerned about he always has an answer and is always so calm and not worried about anything at all being wrong, so I guess I need to do the same.
He said to continue my soft food diet, and I don't have to come back for two weeks!
I'm also supposed to continue my exercises and he said to keep giving my smile time to return to normal. Ugh...time.
Eating is definitely getting better. I can chew a little more than I could last week. But when I'm done I have a mouthful of food stuck everywhere and have to clean it immediately. Actually, I started my 4th bottle of Peridex tonight haha. That seems like so much!!
I sound a little closer to normal when I talk, but I am not a fan of S's. I have an awesome lisp right now, and my mouth likes to spit everywhere sometimes. In fact I almost got my surgeon really good when he asked me something while looking in my mouth. I don't think he cares about spit and boogers and blood very much though.

I keep thinking about how Monday I have to go back to school. Yikes. It's going to be weird getting back into that routine after so much laying around the house the past few weeks.
I was thinking today that I'm glad I had to have surgery during this break, rather than summer. I originally planned to have this done last summer, but I had to have a palatal expander before braces and it set me back. I would have had more time to recover, but I would have missed out on a lot. The holidays were a little different, but I got to enjoy them as best as possible. Also, there isn't a lot to do in the winter time, but in the summer I have a million fun things to do.

Aid came over tonight and made me laugh an extra amount which made my mouth hurt again haha It feels so awesome to laugh and be happy, and then this crazy pain happens and all I can do is keep laughing and making it worse. I made lasagna yesterday because I thought it would be something different and yummy to eat. Plus, I was so bored and it takes all day to make. We ate that and then went to get ice cream, which I ate with a spoon and was kind of sad I couldn't eat my cone :(

I would do a lot of things for some sushi right now. Spicy tuna rolls sound so awesome. I definitely could never fit that in my mouth right now and eat it without choking and dying. I could possibly cut it up in little pieces, but that just goes against all the sushi rules. 

Picture from today:

2 comments:

  1. Reading through your blog sometimes feels like I am reading my own thoughts. I am in the EXACT same situation, where I am CONSTANTLY biting down on my teeth because my teeth on my right don't seem to fit together the same way my teeth do on the left. It's so interesting to read people go through the exact same experiences. I am so glad to hear you dealt with this too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes it must be totally normal!
    I'm actually doing it now too since my disc is all screwed up and I'm worried my bite may shift. When I realize how much I do it, I start to think how ridiculous it must be and I am thinking way too much, which probably makes it worse.

    When I read your blog, it really is like rereading my old posts!

    ReplyDelete