Monday, January 17, 2011

Day Thirty!

I went to the oral surgeon today, and he was all smiles and excited about his work again haha.
He said I am progressing very well and look perfect!
He even said I can take off my elastics! I didn't think I would get to stop wearing them until a couple of more weeks! Or, I would at least have to wear them at night, like I have read other people doing.
But he said as long as my bite doesn't change they are off for good :)
Of course I am not convinced that my bite won't decide to be rebellious so I will be paying attention.
I talk a lot better without them! Good thing, because I start work this Thursday and saying "Sutherlin Nissan" 895729834 times a day offers many opportunities for lisps. Cute when you're 2. Not cute when you're almost 22.

He also said not to worry about that pain I have been feeling, because he thinks it may be from the elastics and we'll see how it is in 2 weeks. I also asked him about the tongue thrusting and he said those types of things he always notices after seeing patients several times, but he hasn't noticed that with me so I must not do it much. He said "someone like you" (is that bad? Don't answer that.) will think about it and pay attention to it and correct it. I'm still gonna remind the orthodontist about it and see what he thinks though!

I have to start doing more "exercises." I'm supposed to open my mouth as wide as possible without hurting, and hold it for 10 seconds. 10 sets of 10 reps. He said to continue my lip/smile exercises too.

He said to call my orthodontist to make an appointment for 2 weeks from now. And to come back to his office in 2 weeks. He also said that at that point (6 weeks post op) I can move into my regular diet and do you know what that means??? CHEESEBURGERS AND FRIES AND CHICKEN FINGERS AND FRONTERA. Okay. I'm insane. But really, after weeks of soft mushy food and soups and bullshit, I am ready for that stuff!

That's basically it. When we were leaving I remembered he didn't look in my nose like he usually does, and I forgot to ask if I'm allowed to blow it again. So I'll call the office in a few days and ask. But I mean, I'm not really dying to blow my nose or anything. Digging around with q tips gets the job done pretty well.

I start school again tomorrow. It will be a long day, but at least I don't have to start back to work until Thursday. After what I have been through for the past month, 18 hours of school and 20-26 hours of work each week doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Peridex has really stained my teeth, but I'm not too concerned right now. Crest whitestrips are in my future 6-9 months from now!

8 comments:

  1. You look fantastic! This just makes me so excited for my surgery. All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney

    I have been enjoying reading your blog because we are the same age, and it's a little easier to read it from the prospective of a college student. I will be having surgery in May.

    Do you work at a car dealership by the way (the Sutherlin Nissan comment..) ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoy reading it!

    May will be here before you know it! Are you starting a blog?

    Yes, I do work at a car dealership. I'm a receptionist. Super easy job haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha so am I! I work at a Chrysler dealership :) Now I have found the perfect person to ask! How long did you find you needed to take off work? I am really trying to take off the least amount of time that I can, but coming from someone who is familiar with the job (which yes, is easy! but takes a lot of talking!) what did you find as to how long it took until you could talk clearly enough? I pretty much just have to sit in a chair so I am not really worried about the 'getting exhausted quickly' aspect, but more of when I will be able to move my mouth enough to answer phones and speak with customers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's so funny!
    I took 4 weeks off of work, personally. But if I absolutely HAD to, I probably could have gone back at 3-4 weeks, although it wouldn't have been too easy.
    How many hours do you work? My evening shifts are only 4 hours, so I think that would have been manageable. But my weekend 6-8 hour shifts, would have been difficult.
    Take 3-4 weeks off if you can. If you have to work, you can make it with just two weeks!
    You'll be able to speak okay at two weeks. Sometimes you'll sound a little funny, like with the letter S. But I doubt anyone will even notice. Everyone told me I sounded fine to them, when I thought I sounded like a deaf person trying to speak.
    You may notice after you get home from work, your jaw has swollen a little because of all the talking you did. But that's nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, mine is pretty similar, I work 4.5 hours during evening shifts and a 10 hour shift on the weekends. My sister works at the same dealership, so I am lucky that I won't really have to take on those 10 hour shifts until I am ready, I am sure she'd be more than willing to cover them for me. I am really hoping for no more than 3 weeks off, but I suppose I will just have to play it by ear. Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha my mom works at the same dealership, so we kinda did what you and your sister will be doing!
    I think 3 weeks should be plenty of time for you! The hardest part after 2 weeks will just be that you will feel a little tired. After surgery you lose a lot of energy and it takes a while to build that back up.

    ReplyDelete